Getting your Second Working Holiday Visa In Australia FAQ!


How do I find my rural work?

When you first start your search for farm work you may instantly type in “farm work Australia” into Google and find a lot of websites which don’t lead anywhere or they want you to pay to access their job boards. All depending on what type of rural work you want to do will depend on where you look. However, the one site which contains it all is GumTree and I swear by it, so long as you are CAREFUL! From fruit picking to live-stock handling, you can always find something. Check out my post on finding work in Australia which includes the advertisement I put up myself to find my Jillaroo work!

How much do they pay?

Again, this all depends on the type of work you do and also what you pre-arrange with your employer. Fruit picking normally pays SIGNIFICANTLY less that station work. Normally you get paid per bucket, so you can find yourself earning $20 for an 11hour day of hard fruit picking! However, property work will normally offer bed and board and a salary around $300-500 per week which is a much better option if you want to save for the next leg of your trip! However, even though I wouldn’t recommend it due to the horror stories which I have encountered, you can do something called Wwoofing which is volunteer work in return for bed and board. The latter option I would only recommend if you get really stuck!

How many hours will I work?

Normally rural work comes with long hours. Part time work may only require you to work a couple of hours per day, but remember, the 88 days you need to complete must be full time. Part time work will take longer than the 88 to complete at the same place (for example, weekends are not counted with part time).

What kind of work counts?

Below is a list taken from the Immi website detailing all the jobs which count towards your second year visa. Please note, this work must also be undertook in an approved postcode. All this information can be found at this link.

Approved industries for specified work include:

  • plant and animal cultivation
  • fishing and pearling
  • tree farming and felling
  • mining
  • construction.

Specified work is any type of work described in the list below:

  • plant and animal cultivation
    • the harvesting and/or packing of fruit and vegetable crops
    • pruning and trimming vines and trees
      Note: This must be the applicants primary employment task and directly associated with the cultivation and commercial sale of plant produce, such as fruit and nut crops (commercial horticultural activities). General garden maintenance is not eligible.
    • general maintenance crop work
    • cultivating or propagating plants, fungi or their products or parts
    • immediate processing of plant products
    • maintaining animals for the purpose of selling them or their bodily produce, including natural increase
      Note: Maintaining animals for tourism or recreational purposes is not eligible.
    • immediate processing of animal products including shearing, butchery, packing and tanning
      Note: Secondary processing of animal products, such as small goods processing and retail butchery is not eligible.
    • manufacturing dairy produce from raw material.
  • fishing and pearling
    • conducting operations relating directly to taking or catching fish and other aquatic species
    • conducting operations relating directly to taking or culturing pearls or pearl shell.
  • tree farming and felling
    • planting or tending trees in a plantation or forest that are intended to be felled
    • felling trees in a plantation or forest
    • transporting trees or parts of trees that were felled in a plantation or forest to the place where they are first to be milled or processed or from which they are to be transported to the place where they are to be milled or processed.
  • mining
    • coal mining
    • oil and gas extraction
    • metal ore mining
    • construction material mining
    • non-metallic mineral mining and quarrying
    • exploration.
    • mining support services
    • construction
  • residential building construction
  • non-residential building construction
  • heavy and civil engineering construction
  • land development and site preparation services
  • building structure services
  • building installation services
  • building completion services
  • other construction services.


Who is eligible?

Similar requirements are set out for the second visa as they are for the first as below:

  • have not previously entered Australia on a Work and Holiday (Temporary) visa (subclass 462)
  • hold a valid passport from a country involved in the Working Holiday Program with Australia
  • have turned 18 years of age but have not yet turned 31
  • are a genuine visitor who wants to have a holiday in Australia
  • have enough money to support yourself on a working holiday (about AUD 5000)
  • have enough money to buy a return or onward travel ticket at the end of your stay
  • will not be accompanied by dependent children at any time during your stay.

Not everyone who is eligible for the first visa is eligible for the second. For the 471 visa the following countries are allowed to reapply:

  • Belgium
  • Canada
  • Republic of Cyprus
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China (including British National Overseas passport holders)
  • Republic of Ireland
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Republic of Korea
  • Malta
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Sweden
  • Taiwan
  • United Kingdom.

Please check for yourself on the immi website whether you qualify for the visa.

Do I have to collect all my hours with the same employee?

Nope! You can work for as many employers as you wish. So long as you collect the full 88 days under the requirements set out for this visa, you’re good to go!

Do they need to sign anything?

Yes! Even though a paper copy is not always neccessary as 99% of applications are done online it is good to download and print the 1263 form from the same website whilst you are with your employer and get them to sign it. Then if immigration ever need further proof, you have it to hand!

Do you need proof?

So, as we said before, during the online application you will need to fill out your employers details, including ABN number, full name, contact details and company name. If your application needs further supporting documents make sure you have your 1263 form to hand as well as pay slips, bank statements or bus tickets (if you weren’t paid for the work).

How does the process work?

It’s really super simple! You go online to and fill out all your details! Add the dates, employer information etc, pay your fee and VOILA! Just sit back and wait for an email. Once you receive your confirmation email you don’t have to do anything. The computer system will already have been updated and just like with your first visa you don’t need to have a hard copy in your passport. So you’re good to go!

Do you have to leave Australia to get your second visa?

No. However, it is stipulated that if you are in Australia at the time of applying for the second year visa, then you must be in Australia when it is granted. And vice versa, if you are outside of Australia when applying you need to be outside of Australia when it is granted!

What do you need to take onto the farm?

Depending on the climate at the time will depend on what clothing you will need to take. However, regardless of whether you are below freezing in Tasmania or experiencing 50 degree heat in outback Queensland, you will need long trousers and a long sleeved shirt if you are working with live stock (sheep/cows). Here are a few other essentials which you will need to take:

  • Good solid work boots! Expect to pay over $100 but you will not regret it!
  • Sun hat! Even if you hate hats, the heat is extreme in outback conditions like you have never experienced and standing outside with zero shade for eight hours will make you very very ill.
  • Water bottle… Keep those fluids up!
  • Sun cream
  • Sun glasses (not expensive, but the style which wraps around the side of your eyes are best)
My time on a sheep station in Western Queensland
My time on a sheep station in Western Queensland

Do I need any experience?

Like with any jobs, you either start at the bottom where you need no experience or you take a higher role within the company. Please don’t lie. Most backpacker farm jobs do not require any experience, just a great hard working, can-do attitude and they will train you on the job! If you lie on your resume, it could all go pear shaped when they stick you on a horse to muster 2,000 sheep on your second day because you told them you have worked with horses and live-stock for years.

How do I get there?

If you are sticking to the east coast then Greyhound buses cover a vast network, even right into the outback areas. However, in Western Australia Greyhound does not run here. There are alternative bus routes but with WA being as big as it is, your own car may be the only way to get to a lot of properties out in the sticks! Another helpful tip: have enough money to leave! You may not like the job or feel uncomfortable and being in the middle of nowhere is not the place to run out of money. So keep a few hundred in your bank for a quick escape back on the bus if you need to!

What do you get there?

Finally, I’ll talk quickly about what you can expect to get when you arrive on your property. Please note a lot of fruit picking jobs will require you to stay in a working hostel or room to which you will have to pay rent! However for property work you will probably live in the house with the family. I got my own room and en suite, plus all of my meals!

If you have anymore questions about second year working holiday visa’s then drop a comment below!

This post does include affiliate links to products or companies which I have personally used and would highly recommend! If you click on an ad, at no extra cost to you, I make a small commission from the sale. All of which goes straight back into my travels and my YouTube channel to bring you even more PsychoTraveller goodness!

Hi! Name’s Aly! Originally from Birmingham, England, I have been discovering the world for over 3 years straight. I am a psychology graduate with a love for Pho and red wine. Whether I throw myself into a novel or from 14,000ft up out of a plane, I look at adventure big and small and say “Let’s do this!”